[plug] Opera wrecked

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Jul 17 18:02:09 WST 2008

Hello.

As a person who has been using Opera for years, as the (perceived)
safest browser to use for Internet banking, the latest upgrade is
apparently a wrecking of the Opera browser.

Having upgraded to 9.51, this is a warning to other Opera users who
have not already upgraded, to be very wary about upgrading.

The browser now, after being forced to display the login screen at the
particular bank, "times out" all of the time, so a login session can be
forced, but then the browser prohibits any actions being performed,
once a person is logged in to Internet banking.

I do not know whether this is a security breach, but it is a serious
concern.

The bank has advised me that this problem has been reported to the bank
by many Opera users, since the last upgrade.

After three days, I have not received acknowledgement of the bug report,
from Opera. The bug report was expanded by me, to include screen dumps,
to show the problem.

Also, having done the upgrade, and having uninstalled it, I am not able
to install any previous version of Opera, to get a functional version of
Opera, as 9.51 has apparently done something to my Linux installation,
that prohibits a previous version of Opera being installed. I am using
Debian Linux 4.0, and used dpkg -i to install, and, dpkg -r to remove.

So, if you are using Opera, be wary of upgrading to 9.51.

It is dangerous!

--
Bret Busby
Armadale