[plug] Opera wrecked

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jul 18 11:04:36 WST 2008

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Jason Posavec wrote:

> Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> As a person who has been using Opera for years, as the (perceived) safest
>> browser to use for Internet banking, the latest upgrade is apparently a
>> wrecking of the Opera browser.
>>
>> Having upgraded to 9.51, this is a warning to other Opera users who have
>> not already upgraded, to be very wary about upgrading.
>>
>> The browser now, after being forced to display the login screen at the
>> particular bank, "times out" all of the time, so a login session can be
>> forced, but then the browser prohibits any actions being performed, once a
>> person is logged in to Internet banking.
>>
>> I do not know whether this is a security breach, but it is a serious
>> concern.
>>
>> The bank has advised me that this problem has been reported to the bank by
>> many Opera users, since the last upgrade.
>>
>> After three days, I have not received acknowledgement of the bug report,
>> from Opera. The bug report was expanded by me, to include screen dumps, to
>> show the problem.
>>
>> Also, having done the upgrade, and having uninstalled it, I am not able to
>> install any previous version of Opera, to get a functional version of
>> Opera, as 9.51 has apparently done something to my Linux installation, that
>> prohibits a previous version of Opera being installed. I am using Debian
>> Linux 4.0, and used dpkg -i to install, and, dpkg -r to remove.
>>
>> So, if you are using Opera, be wary of upgrading to 9.51.
>>
>> It is dangerous!
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>>

> Firefox is considered to be less safe than Opera?

Opera was the only "mainstream" web browser of which I was aware, for
which no virus or other security breach had been successfully written,
and I have seen only one CERT advisory for Opera, and more for the
Mozilla web browsers (although, still not as many as the MS browser and
MS software).

The latest CERT Advisory for Mozilla products (including Firefox) was
dated May 27, this year.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale