[plug] My new PC - a little disappointed...

Ryan King communist.goatherder at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 10:41:32 WST 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Blake Munro <blake.munro at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Final step, and I thought I was seeing some light at the end of the tunnel
> with this one, was to download the binary package from nvidia.com and
> manually install the driver, get it to compile a module etc and all would be
> sweet. Not so. The Nvidia package says that my card is supported, others on
> various forums I have googled have had some success with this method, but I
> still keep running in to dead ends, like a lot of other people it seems. The
> module compiles and installs, but same as step 1, when I reboot, I get a
> blank screen and Gnome does not start.
>
> This is all making me quite frustrated at the moment, i've spent about the
> last 48 hours at home like a hermit with about 40 firefox tabs open at any
> one time, reading forums from all around the globe trying to get this damn
> graphics card to work.
>
> So my question to fellow pluggers - does anyone have one of these cards,
> and did you get it to work with the correct driver? If so, could you please
> give me some advice?
>
> I have since also found out that my mainboard only has fake raid, and have
> not even attempted using dmraid or any of those tools to set that up, i'm
> just taking it one step at a time.
>
> It appears to have bitten me in the ass by going out and buying brand new
> hardware. I tried to stick with good, popular brands but it appears that
> Ubuntu is still a little bit behind in terms of bleeding edge hardware.
>
> Any help would be very appreciated.

Hi Blake,

I recently did the same thing - went out, bought new stuff, then installed
ubuntu on it and ran into a few headaches ;)

I have the same graphics card (different manufacturer though...) -
initially, the only way for me to get it to run was to use a beta driver
from Nvidia (the current drivers work for me now though...).  Still, it
might be worth trying the beta drivers ou (64 bit)t:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_177.13.html

I also recall having to increase the power for that pcie slot in bios (first
time i've ever had to do anything like that)...  until i did that, i kept
booting into blank screens randomly :p  However, your motherboard might be
clever enough to sort this out on its own - mine was a bit cheaper ;p

Hope that helps in some way or other ;)

Ryan