[plug] My new PC - a little disappointed...

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jul 20 22:18:44 WST 2008

8<------------- SNIP ----------->8

> Gigabyte M750SLI-DS4 mainboard (with Nvidia chipset)
> AMD 64 AM2 dual core 6000+ (3000mhz)
> 4gb Corsair DDR2 1066mhz (these babies have their own heatsinks and fan
> cooling system attached! ASUS Nvidia 9600 GT 512mb DDR3 PCIe video card
> 36gb WD Raptor 10,000rpm (system boot) 2x 500gb WD 7200rpm (planned to
set
> up in a RAID mirror) Thermaltake Case with 430w PSU ASUS Dual layer DVD
> writer TP-Link USB Wireless G adapter (Ralink chipset)
>
> So, I get home on Friday after a long day at work and spend a couple of
> hours carefully building the box.
>
> My nightmare started after a smooth installation of Ubuntu Hardy
8.04.1,
> 32bit x86 edition.
>
> Firstly, the mainboard has a Realtek ALC889A sound chip on board. The
> audio was extremely distorted and crackly, thus rendering it as useless
as
> an ashtray on a motorbike. Ok, so this appears to be a known bug. Some
may
> call it a bug, others may call it "brand new hardware, give it time for
us
> to build in support! (see

8<------------- SNIP ----------->8

I can only comment about the Realtek audio chipset :

This is similar to the chipset on my Asus M2A-VM-HDMI mobo (ALC883)

Fedora 8 detected and setup the Realtek audio chipset with no problems
and it worked well for all forms of  playback, but I ran into problems
when using Audacity to rip/record/process audio files.

I also went back to using a card from Creative.

The Realtek audio chipsets are HD audio and require specific drivers.

See link below and note from Realtek website

Link :
-------
Realtek Audio Driver for Linux.

Download URL: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

Note From Realtek website :
Audio drivers available for download from the Realtek website are general
drivers for our audio ICs, and may not offer the customizations made by
your system/motherboard manufacturer. To be sure you obtain the full
features/customizations provided in your original audio product, please
download the latest drivers from your system/motherboard manufacturer's
website.

HTH

Regards Arie