[plug] nagios / services depending on local host

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Thu Jul 31 15:29:26 WST 2008

Hello.

I am new to the list.
Using linux from around 1999.
Preferred disto's: gentoo and linuxmint

Noticed this request from Adam in the archive, thus as I have missed the
original post, I have cut 'n paste the question from the web.
Sorry if this causes a new thread.

Hi Adam.

I think you need to create an event-handler, hooked to the host check
event, which will be triggered when the host state changes.

The event handler (which can be any kind of script, whatever you are
comfortable in writing) can then be used to either activate/deactivate
the service checks for the hosts, depending on what the status of the
event was.

You could choose to use a global event-handler, or special handlers for
each hosts.

See the following:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/eventhandlers.html
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html

You mention you use nagios 2.9, so you may have to hunt down the
corresponding docs, as the links given are for version 3, but the event
handlers may very well be the same.

I have not done this myself, but it would be the way I would handle this.
Hope this helps getting you on the right track.

Regards
Lucas

www.dedmeet.com

Original mail extracted from web archive: