[plug] bind, dns and oddities

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Tue Jun 3 19:44:31 WST 2008

Hi Bill

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, quoth William Kenworthy:

> Ive just rehashed my home dns running on bind.
>
> One item I am not sure about is how to handle "wap" and
> "wap.localdomain". Should I be using a CNAME to get wap to resolve
> correctly? - I was under the impression that bind would handle both by
> default?

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to resolve "wap"
instead of / in addition to "wap.localdomain"

That's something that is handled at the client end, not by BIND - by
setting up your DNS search order.

(eg by adding "search localdomain" to your /etc/resolv.conf or by adding
it to the appropriate field under the TCP/IP settings in windoze)

 - Matt