[plug] On the subject of USB sticks

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 11:21:05 WST 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 11:03 AM, David Dartnall <darts at dialix.com.au> wrote:
> I have one that refuses to mount with the error message:
>
>   mount_point cannot contain the following characters:
>   newline, G_DIR_SEPARATOR(usually /)
>
> I know (as has been pointed out) that they're cheap, but
> it would be interesting to find out what's happening here.
> Note that all other keys in my possession mount ok...
>
> Regards
> Dave Dartnall

I think with automounting now available in linux systems, they call
the mount point of the device you've plugged in based on the device
you're trying to mount. So if I have a "USBDISK" then I'll often get a
mount point under /media called /media/USBDISK.

My guess is your device has a ' ' or a '/' or a '\n' in this
description, and that's why it's not mounting.

You can try to mount it yourself by device node (/dev/sdb perhaps)
under some fixed no-funny-characters mount point like so:
# mkdir /tmp/mountpoint && sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/mountpoint

Tomasz