[plug] On the subject of USB sticks

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 13:56:02 WST 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Mike Holland <michael.holland at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
>>
>> My guess is your device has a ' ' or a '/' or a '\n' in this
>> description, and that's why it's not mounting.
>
> Space is OK isnt it?
> Easiest fix would be to plug it into a windows box and rename it.
>
> Or reformat the drive under Linux. (repartition??)

Don't know about the space, depends what the variable mentioned before
expands to..

I don't think it's not a format issue, the label comes from the Vendor
and Model information obtained from the media itself, which has
nothing to do with partitions/file systems.
Like your hard drive vendor being WD or something, they could be a
vendor of '-rf' and then you'd have some issues when trying to
'umount' it, unless you prefix with ./

They're just trying to keep you safe :) As I said, mounting by device
node to a fixed mount point should fix the issue (it was complaining
about the mount point destination, not the source as I recall..)

Tomasz