[plug] [plug-ctte] Linux enthusiasm - too good to be true?

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Tue Jun 17 10:03:15 WST 2008

Both Kev and Patrick make good points about Xandros and Ubuntu
respectively however this does open the door for some further opining on
my part :-P

I had been using Linux on my servers for a long time but had yet to find
a Linux distribution (aka distro) that met my needs as a desktop/laptop
OS.  Laptops are especially tricky to support well it seems.

Many people who have tried Ubuntu did so prior to the latest releases on
the basis of a LOT of early hype about it.  I have a lot of Linux
experience and found the early releases of Ubuntu terrible and a step
backwards from older distros such as Mandrake/Mandriva.

I must say however that the latest Ubuntu release 8.04 is a gem -
hardware support for old scanners and printers is great, other devices
like wireless cards etc. are found and configured without issue, and the
user interface is calm and useful. Open Office, Gimp etc. are all there
when you install the desktop version.

Ubuntu is so good I find it nicer to use than either Windows XP or Vista
(errk!) AND it's faster than either on the same hardware (even when
running Windows apps.)  I have an 8 year old laptop that runs Ubuntu so
well it's going to be hard to part with it when finally it dies.

Perhaps I'm biased but I feel Ubuntu is a very good beginner's intro to
Linux.  This may be because I believe the Gnome user interface style
used by Ubuntu is similar enough to Windows that beginners would have no
trouble navigating it. And anyway I must say you don't seem to be a
complete "newb" as you've done pretty well playing with multiple distros
and anyway navigating Vista issues is no mean feat :-)

The only issue I have with Ubuntu is their insistence on defaulting to
using Evolution as the email client.  I much prefer Thunderbird so it's
nice that it's trivially easy to install it (and many other
applications) using Add/Remove applications.

In any case, as Patrick says, getting the Ubuntu CD is free and you can
boot it in "demo" mode without damaging anything you have already
installed. Even when installing Ubuntu you have the choice of
re-arranging the disk so that your Windows install is preserved.

I'd encourage you to try Ubuntu.

Paul