[plug] ups driven automatic server shutdown

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Jun 19 15:28:01 WST 2008

Hi Adam

A few people have said nut but I'm not sure that it meets your requirements.

Servers running nut can "listen" to a common server over the network. The
common server is generally the one connected (via serial, USB, or simple
digital alarm signals) to a common UPS that powers all of the servers. On
receipt of an alarm from the common server (over the network) the "slave"
servers can autonomously shutdown (and you could arrange the shutdown scripts
to bring down services gracefully on that server).

But your application describes the reverse. Rather than autonomous shutdown of
the slaves, you want a central server to supervise the shutdown as a sequence.
While the alarms for each "slave" server could occur at timed intervals (nut
scripts allow this), this would rely on the shutdown of each server occurring
in a maximum time window. If you can guarantee that ..

Have a look over nut anyway. It has quite comprehensive facilities and I may
not have dug deep enough when I looked at what it can do. You may also be able
to extend what it does to minimise scripting to achieve what you need. If the
nut running on slaves can reply when all services that matter are closed, then
this might permit a VerySmallScript on the "master" server.

If 140 servers are running off a common UPS, you have a stout UPS there :P
Maybe I'm assuming the architecture incorrectly.

All the best
Harry

ps Top post be damned!