[plug] Ubuntu woes

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 19 23:04:08 WST 2008

Martin Barry wrote:
> $quoted_author = "Steve Baker" ;
>
>> I would think that the really slow boot (took nearly 20mins tonight when
>> I restarted with upgraded kernel) is a key symptom.
>>

> It may be a dumb question, but surely you noticed what took an inordinately
> long time to complete during the boot process
Not a dumb question, but no, I did not really notice.  The orange bar
swings back and forth (very very slowly), then stops for a bit, moves a
bit, etc.  Perhaps a switch to VT6 might give some info, I might try
that next time I restart.

Interestingly, checking output from kern.log, syslog and messages after
boot all show a total of about 6 minutes from boot to the last message;
it must be taking all that time to load up the kernel / initrd from the
boot device.  Surely not?

I'll run a full memtest86 and see if that identifies any issues with the
RAM.

Regards,
Steve