[plug] Wireless woes

Blake Munro blake.munro at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 17:26:37 WST 2008

Hi pluggers,

I have a TP-LINK WN-321G wireless USB adapter, which uses the RaLink RT73
chipset.
I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 amd64. By default, the wireless adapter is detected
by Ubuntu and it uses the 'rt73usb' module natively.

I was having all sorts of throughput issues with that (sometimes you could
transfer at 20k/sec and others at 200k/sec, it was a real PITA).

Since then, I've resorted to using ndiswrapper and the Windows XP64 drivers
for this chipset. It works, and no more throughput issues. However, it just
stops working whenever it feels like it.
I could be happily browsing the net and all of a sudden it stops. The only
way that I can figure out so far to fix it, is simply to reboot. Restarting
networking or ndiswrapper does nothing.

Has anyone every come across something as bizzare as this? I have to reboot
my machine anywhere between 1 and 3 hours just to maintain an internet
connection. The router is over the other side of the house :(

Thanks
Blake