[plug] kettle.plug.org.au down this weekend

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 18:54:42 WST 2008

Hi all,

Adon and myself are planning on shifting shameless (mail, web server),
kettle (shell server), and nettle (something) across to the new server
(un.plug.org.au) this weekend. This will fix the random crashes of all
three servers (no more VIA EPIA motherboard) and will drastically
increase the available horsepower on the shell server.

The first part of this process is doing an inital sync of the data. We
were hoping to do this while everything is running, but shameless is
so underpowered it drops our SSH sessions during the copy. We're
therefore going to turn off the two virtual machines (kettle and
nettle) which should improve things.

This means that the shell server will be down for most of the weekend.
The website and mailing list will be fine, barring a few hours
tomorrow to copy everything across and update the DNS. I'll let
everyone know before we do this, though.

If anyone needs the server up urgently, let me know, otherwise it'll
be going down soon.

Cheers,

Patrick

--