[plug] upgrading from 6.06 to 8.04 ubuntu

Rob Dunne rob.dunne at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 18:10:36 WST 2008

Hi List,

I was trying to use the update-manager to upgrade from 6.06 to 8.04
ie
kdesu "update-manager -d"

I got a few error messages about various packages ie things like

The upgrade will continue but the 'python-vte' package may be in a not
working state. Please consider submitting a bugreport about
it.dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

and then

The upgrade aborts now. Your system could be in an unusable state. A
recovery will run now (dpkg --configure -a).

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include
the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport.
installArchives() failed

this ran for a while and then the update manager crashed!!!

The last error message on the screen (ie where the update manager was
running) was

ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found
(required by
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)
Could not import module, is a package upgrade in progress? Error:
/usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not found (required by
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6)

Now X doesnt work and I have no network froma that machine (yppasswd
etc). I dont know why anyting was looking for a library in
/usr/local/lib and I suspect that this was the cause of the problem. I
am now burning an "alternate CD" to see if I can revive the system

If I do get an alternate CD and try again -- what should I do to try and
salvage it?

Bye
Rob