[plug] ubuntu cpu not recognised properly

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 2 13:52:11 WST 2008

man cpufreqd

the locate found the kernel module - is it loaded (hint, see `lsmod`)

Sounds like ubuntu recognised it as a laptop with powersaving ability
and configured it appropriately as it should.  For "flat out" all the
time, use the performance governor.  Check out the cpufrequtils and
laptopmode packages for the tools to manipulate the cpu speed.

By the way, 400Mhz is plenty for a fast light weight GUI (I use fluxbox)
with no real slow down - and you get the benefits of a terminals instead
of just console.  Throw in proper web browsing when looking for
documentation and the like and its a real boon.  And you can set it up
to just run when you need it.

Its only a couple of years ago I decommissioned my 400Mhz K6
gateway/apache/PHP/mysql/mail server with a full gnome desktop including
OO - it was also my emergency desktop when I had killed everything else
in the house (^&*5 happens!) - while slow with OO and all frills on the
desktop, it did work, and work well!

BillK

On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 13:20 +0900, Gavin Chester wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-02 at 07:33 +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> > Gavin Chester wrote:
> >
> -snip-
>
> > Is it being slowed down by a cpufreq governor?
>
> -snip-
> >
> > brad at bklaptop2:~$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> > ondemand
>
> Thanks, Brad. Two issues with what you suggest here for my laptop: 1/ my
> directory tree branches differently such that it
> goes .../cpu/cpu0/topology/... or .../cpu/cpu0/crash_notes/.... Given
> that, I did 'slocate cpufreq' and it turned up under /lib/modules/...
> Having found it there, I found no file that you refer to, only a variety
> of cpufreq_xxx.ko files; and
> 2/ I thought about the issue of cpu scaling before posting and checked
> my bios to see that the cpu was not affected by powersaving settings.
>
> So, exactly what do I expect to do to find if ubuntu is throttling the
> cpu?
>
> Gavin

Home in Perth!