[plug] Disk resize question

Andrew Furey andrew.furey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 12:23:18 WST 2008

On 06/03/2008, Chris Griffin <griffinster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings once again,
>
> I am using Fedora 8 and VirtualBox. I had a 6GB disk defined and got to the
> point of having only about 107MB of space left. I have defined a second disk
> of 7GB and done all the necessary to duplicate the partition definitions and
> copied the contents of the partitions across (it had default partitioning
> from install time). I can now boot the new disk but it still does not show
> the extra space.
>
> [root at localhost ~]# df -h
>  Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>  /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
>                             4.7G  4.3G  107M  98% /
>  /dev/sda1             190M   19M  162M  11% /boot
>  tmpfs                   252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm
>  [root at localhost ~]#
>

> I used dd to copy partitions (eg.     dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2    )
> Did I miss something?

The partition size is stored in the filesystem table, so yes, what you
see is correct. You'll need to use (eg.) parted to increase the size
(Knoppix is probably your friend here).

Andrwe

--
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.