[plug] home cat5 issues

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:08:47 WST 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 14:43 +0900, Tim Bowden wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 14:19 +0900, Jason wrote:
> > <snip>
> >

> > Cable strewn across the floor works fine but unfortunately the wife
> >  doesn't like it, and the dog likes to chew it.
>
> Do you have any cat5 cable running alongside power cables?  Does nasty
> things.  Crossing at ~90deg is fine though.

Thanks Tim and Jason. No, I'm aware of interference with outside sources
and have routed the cable well clear. But, the cable that I'm testing
with after discovering issues is simply 30m of cat5e coiled on the
floor.

The key to it all falling down is the keystone sockets interposed along
its length. Any connection to them fails even though these have been
done correctly and tests show connected okay. See diagram of test cable
below, reproduced from first posting:

        PC                      Router

where each 'O' is a keystone socket and 'X' is crimped cable connector
on a single cat5e cable placed loose on the floor. All connections and
sockets test as good, but only X-X works, any combination of X-O or O-O
fails.

Gavin