[plug] home cat5 issues

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 17:09:24 WST 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 16:10 +0900, Mark J Gaynor wrote:
> I have not heard of a modified star topology, a star is a star. I would say
> that you
> have seriously changed the characteristics of the cable by placing sockets
> along
> its length. If the sockets were a normalized type (not come across cat5
> normalized
> sockets either) then I would say the idea would work. A normalized socket
> breaks
> the connection at the point of connection. I would say that stray capacity
> is your
> worse enemy here, resulting in a sad lack of speed.
>
> Mark

I hadn't thought of stray capacitance from unused sockets :-/. I'd
thought an unused socket without breaking the cable would equal simple
stripped insulation :-/ That is, I was hoping that without physically
breaking the connection when I interpose a keystone socket that it would
be seen as one cable - potentially of varying length.

Recall my previously discussed test cable of 30m with a keystone socket
interposed halfway along its length with crimped connectors each end.
Then I can elect to use it as a patch cable connected end to end - OR
substitute the halfway socket leaving the rest of the cable flapping in
the breeze. Sort of like quickly choosing between a 30m or 15m length of
patch cable when it actually still the same cable. Without breaking
continuity I thought this should work :-/. Another diagram would help,
perhaps:

SCENARIO 1/

X---------------O---------------X
|		|		|
PC				Router

One cable using end crimp connectors - this WORKS.

SCENARIO 2/

X---------------O---------------X
|		|		|
PC		Router

One cable using end crimp connector to midway keystone
	- this does NOT work.

Got me stumped. And, yes I've triple checked the integrity and pinouts
of teh keystone - even temporarily changed it to T568B, instead of
T568A, just for the hell of it :-/

The next test I'm going to try to replicate my problem is to make a
patch cable with a "Y" connection so that I choose either of B or C
connected to A - not at same time, of course.

		Router

	PC

Gavin