[plug] OS free laptops?

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Thu May 8 09:23:12 WST 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 09:16 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
> On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Marcos Raúl Carot Collins
> <marcos.carot at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there!
> >
> >  Do you know where I can get OS Free laptops (ie: no MS tax)?
> >
> >  I am from Argentina, and there I bought an ASUS A6 OS free (US$100
> >  less than the same with Win XP) a couple of years ago.
> >
> >  But here, I can't find any online or "real" retailer that would sell
> >  one OS free (they have offered to format the disk!!) Of course paying
> >  MS for something I won't use is not an option.
> >
> >  Anybody?
> >
> >  Thanks!!
> >
> >  Marcos
>
> If you read the M$ agreement, if you do not agree, then you must
> return it to your OEM for a refund. You can get anything basically
> then call up and tell Dell, HP whoever you don't agree to the terms,
> and score yourself some cash. If you do that also for the bundled
> products (Works and who knows what else!) there's more capability
> right there to get money too!

I believe you will get a lot of resistance going this route.  From past
accounts it seems you will need a firm will and buckets of determination
to see it through.  It will most likely cost you much more in time and
phone calls than the MS tax.  This course of action is not for the faint
of heart.

Regards,
Tim Bowden