[plug] Dependancy Problem

Alastair Irvine alastair at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 9 17:10:59 WST 2008

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 08:45 am, Innis Cunningham wrote:
>  Sorry my bad libpango is the wrong version but as I dont wish to
> stuff up my install I guess I wont be using this program for the
> time being

Hey, Innis.  Linux is happy to have multiple versions of the same
library installed at once (because the version number is present in
the library name, and applications are dynamically linked against
the specific version* that they need).

You should be able to find a .deb of libpango in the same place.
But you're better off adding a line to your /etc/apt/sources.list
file than downloading and manually installing .deb files.
(http://qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/reference/ explains all this.)

Otherwise, build the library from source; make sure that you run
  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
before you run "make install".  (Anything not in the various "local"
subdirectories is under the control of the package manager.  That's
why all locally built stuff has special places e.g. /usr/local/sbin
for backup scripts.  Ubuntu or Debian should add the appropriate
"local" subdirectories into your or root's path automatically.)

> > Hi All
> > I am trying to install the DVDstyler program via getdeb on
> > ubuntu 7.10 but it needs libsvg0 which when I try to install it
> > from the deb says it needs libpango 1.0.0.The thing is libpango
> > is installed.How do I get libsvg0 to see it. Is there some
> > command line magic I need to do to get libsvg0 to see libpango.
> > Something like HEY DEB.
> > Here it is right where it has been all along.
> > Well thats what my wife says to me when I cant find
> > something.:-) Thanks for any help.

* if a program doesn't care about library versions, it will just be
linked against libblah.so, which is a symlink to the latest
version, e.g. libblah0.9.1.so .  If the library only cares about a
specific API version (and not bug-fixes); it will be linked against
libblah0.9.so, which is also a symlink to libblah0.9.1.so .
You can see what a given program or library is dynamically linked
against by running "ldd /usr/bin/whatever".

--
Alastair Irvine, Warpspace IT <http://www.warpspace.net/>
Business enquiries: 1300 881744 or guru at warpspace.net
[Linux Counter user #404151; OpenDocument Format Alliance member]