[plug] .flv codec

Kev kdownes at bbnet.com.au
Mon May 12 14:05:51 WST 2008

Jason Posavec wrote:
> Gavin Chester wrote:

>>> For what it's worth, if you don't mind changing to a vastly superior
>>> av player, vlc plays .flv files just fine. I
>>>

>> I agree vlc is a fine player, but I think you'll find it will still only
>> work if the underlying codecs are in place. That was his original
>> problem.
>>
>> Gavin.

> I haven't specifically installed .flv codecs or anything, I'm running a
> plain vanilla Ubuntu distro. On that note, I never used to be able to
> play .flv files. Then I either updated vlc or upgraded Ubuntu, and now I
> can play them. Have you done all your updates, Kev?

Yep I have, but I'm not using Ubuntu, but Xandros.  However I've found
out that Ubuntu supply w32codecs-all as a .deb, so I'm in the process of
getting a copy of that.  I'm sure Gavin is correct, that the underlying
codec is what I need, however, I will check out vlc.

Thanx gize
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We currently use Xandros 4.1 - but they went to the "Dark Side"
So we're moving to Debian Etch
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that
it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"