[plug] uvcvideo module for logitech quickcam pro 9000

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Wed May 14 12:29:28 WST 2008

David Dartnall wrote:
> Hi all, as usual I need help again.
>
> Hardy:
> Documentation for Ubuntu 8.04 LTS at 'https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/'
> indicates module 'uvcvideo' is required for this webcam.
>
> 'lsmod | grep uvcvideo' returns no response.

This simply means nothing has loaded the module. If you want to try loading it manually..

sudo modprobe uvcvideo

and then try an lsmod again.

> Installation of subversion and the latest source as instructed in the
> above documentation, and execution of 'make' results in:
>
> make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.22-14-386/build: No such file or directory.
> Stop.
> make: *** [uvcvideo] Error 2
>
> I've found a file  'uvcvideo.ko' at
> /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-generic/ubuntu/media/usbvideo/
>
> If this is the required module already in the system ready for
> installation then I've wasted a lot of time getting this far (except for
> what I've learnt about subversion) but it doesn't seem right.

Why not? It looks like the module you are looking for, and it's right there in front of you :)
In order to compile the source you'd need to install linux-headers-generic which would solve the
problem you see above.

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic

> What should I do from here? I don't yet have the webcam - thought I'd
> organise the module first...

Nothing.. plug the webcam in and udev/hal should load the module for you and configure the device
(in a perfect world)

Brad