[plug] broadband with linux

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Fri May 16 23:37:54 WST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 03:04 +0800, Dem N wrote:
> plug question:
>
> Hi, I'm researching broadband, because I'm getting a little tired of
> dialup, and I'd like to know what people would recommend.

And you'll never willingly go back. ;-)

> Basically I want about 1G at any broadband speed (I'd prefer cheaper
> to faster) with shaping (I want to ensure there are no excess fees),
> and I'd like to keep it to under $30 a month. I could get a Vista
> laptop, but I'd rather use Linux, so compatibility with Linux is
> virtually a must, and support, if possible, would be good, though it
> looks like no one offers this.

There is no such thing as "Linux compatibility" for broadband - there is
such a thing as a USB modem that has Windows only drivers - steer clear
of those.

Make sure you get a "modem" that offers your internal network an
ethernet interface and you're probably good to go.

> So far, the best deal seems to be iinet's package of 2Gb (peak) naked
> DSL with bundled VOIP ($50 combined with phone; my usual phone bill is
> $35 so that's just $15 for good broadband). I've checked with them,
> and my line is compatible with naked DSL, so there's no problem there.
> The only thing holding me back is really that (1) Is it definitely
> Linux compatible? I'm using Fedora Core 4, but could upgrade to Fed 7
> if needed. (2) They have an irritating way of doing phone messages (it
> sends a .wav file to your email address). Has anyone had any
> experience with iinet's VOIP, using their own (non-iinet) VOIP phone
> with an answering machine, and does it work?
>
> Also, can anyone tell me of any decent rival offers?
>
> Also, no one seems to provide an installation CD for Linux. Is it
> technically difficult to install broadband, and roughly what does it
> involve? Are there any websites that give good general guides to this?

If you get a decent broadband modem you have no need whatsoever of an
installation disk - you mostly point your browser at the modem and
configure from there.

It really is that easy .....

> regards,
> Dem Nisbet.

I'll leave the other questions for someone who is actually using naked
ADSL with iinet....

--
Richard Meyer
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.

Linux Counter user #306629