[plug] broadband with linux

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Sat May 17 07:43:04 WST 2008

Other people have addressed your other questions, but on this one...

> (2) They have an
> irritating way of doing phone messages (it sends a .wav file to your email
> address). Has anyone had any experience with iinet's VOIP, using their own
> (non-iinet) VOIP phone with an answering machine, and does it work?

I have the iiNet VOIP, although I don't use it very much. It is
standard SIP - they have the settings on their site - and it works
with anything that speaks SIP. The only quirk is that it uses GSM
encoding (which pretty much everything supports), which is a little
heavy on the internet connection at 64kbit/s (not that you'll notice
it on ADSL!).

For setup of your own ATA:

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=iiNetPhone (iiNet link to this page
from their VOIP support)

For setup of Asterisk (ie, run your own PABX with iiNet as the 'call
trunk' - endless possibilities...)

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=iiNetPhone_asterisk

... and getting said Asterisk to talk to the ATA that ships with their
Belkin routers ...

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=iiNetPhone_asterisk_iinetbelkin

Have fun!

Daniel Foote.