[plug] VOIP and ADSL

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sat May 17 10:25:25 WST 2008

Hello, everyone.

In the thread about ADSL and Linux, reference was made to VOIP.

I have a webcam that can apparently be used for making video phone calls
across the Internet. I have yet to install it, and an email message to
Ekiga, to find out about getting a SIP account with them, which is
apparently necessary, and whether the camera is compatible, returned a
response in Dutch, which I do not understand.

Is VOIP access and a VOIP modem required to make video phone calls?

I have previously downloaded video clips with sound, and I think I have
downloaded streaming video, a few years ago, so I have downloaded stuff
that includes voice sound.

So, could someone please clarify what difference VOIP makes, and,
whether it is needed for video phone calls, compared with "standard"
ADSL and ADSL2?

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby