[plug] LVM on Linux

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Mon May 19 16:48:43 WST 2008

Natch, the link now gives a 404. In any case, I was reading it as a
precursor to asking a question, so I'll just ask the question:

Does anyone know if you can create an LVM2 snapshot, muck around with
the partition (well, entire Xen VM in this case), then revert any and
all changes? I do it regularly with my VMWare Server test VM. Hmm, what
about using Xen somehow for that purpose, rather than the underlying LVM
partition? FYI I'm very new to Xen.

Searching hasn't been promising...
http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid94_gci1309361,00.html
"Unfortunately, open source Xen doesn't offer support for snapshots"

It looks to me that I'll have to create an lvm-snapshot (or turn the
machine off) then dd a copy of the VM. When I'm done, a 'revert' is
simply deleting the copy.

Any better ideas?

Cheers,
Greg.

--
      Gregory Orange             Phone: +61 8 9387 7955