[plug] Ubuntu killed my drive!

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat May 24 22:18:07 WST 2008

Well, probably contributed anyway.

My little Vaio had a major hard disk failure after roughly 2 years of faithful service.
It was a general mechanical wear type of failure as the old freezer allowed me to recover all of the
data perfectly well, but at room temperature it was just a "clickety click"..

A quick post-mortem revealed over 1,200,000 head load/unload cycles where the drive is rated to
about 600,000.

Drive duly replaced, I'll be implementing some of the recommended workarounds listed in the various
Ubuntu forums for overzealous power saving modes for hard disks..
Example : https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/acpi-support/+bug/59695/comments/81

<grumble>..

Brad