[plug] Statically Mounting USB Drives

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Wed May 28 11:17:47 WST 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 11:50 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Using a persistent name rather than a hardware name makes your system
> independent of that renumbering, and makes you happier in the long
> run.

Not always :-(

Initially ignorant of the new schema of persistent names, I had issues
with swapping drives and scsi controller cards earlier this year where
the whole system was unbootable because grub + fstab no longer saw _all_
and _exactly_ the same named drives that the system originally ran. I
decided that persistent naming was more trouble than worth, for me. Now
I have to remember to force non-persistent naming in my fstab setup
since opensuse has adopted it as default.

Gavin