[plug] Sundry niggles / Intrepid update

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Nov 2 20:32:22 WST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 18:47 +0900, David Dartnall wrote:
> Further to this thread and Blake Munro's suggestion that I upgrade to
> Intrepid and advise how I got on, the answer is very well thank you.
>
> The upgrade advised that there is no driver in Intrepid for my old
> Geforce MX400 video card using the nvidia driver and gave the option of
> aborting the process or accepting the loss of the compix goodies, which
> I accepted.
>
> So now with the system now running very slow I need to buy a new video
> card, - don't need it for gaming - just general use with gimp and
> sometimes photoshop - advice needed here please.
>
> Towards the end of the installation process I answered a number of orca
> options in the affirmative, only to have the machine finally boot up
> with it's crippled video running orca - magnified screen and very slow
> response was a bit daunting at first to rectify before I realised what
> was going on.
>
> 'Places' has found both of my Windows disks and both are mounted when
> clicked. It all looks good.
>
> As far as my original niggles are concerned, I'm working on the email
> link problem which has returned. It's too soon to talk about the updates
> icon, and Xsane's copy function problem seems to be related to the
> printer Epson stylus photo R230 where Printing Troubleshooter reports
> "Specified ColorSpace is not supported". Further work at
> http://localhost:631 will be undertaken when I have the time.
>
> But I do need some more advice please: Current setup is Netgear ADSL
> modem router DG834 connected to my wife's and my computers and with 2
> free lan ports. I need to add wireless for a laptop. What do you
> recommend I buy? (Not the laptop, the other gear)
>
> Thanking y'all in anticipation.
> Dave Dartnall

Glad you're "sorta" happy, Dave.

For wireless I use a Netgear WGR614, which I plug in downstream of the
main router/ADSL_modem.

it gives the advantage of having NATting as a firewall twice, but it
DOES split your home network into two networks (those "upstream" and
those "downstream"). In this case I don't care, because my "laboratory"
is nicely separated from the family, but I can still peep at them ....
your circumstances may well be different.

That's what I do anyway - you may want to do something different .....

--
Richard Meyer
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.

Linux Counter user #306629