[plug] Sundry niggles / Intrepid update

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Nov 2 22:23:57 WST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 21:35 +0900, Daniel J. Axtens wrote:
> >> The upgrade advised that there is no driver in Intrepid for my old
> >> Geforce MX400 video card using the nvidia driver and gave the option of
> >> aborting the process or accepting the loss of the compix goodies, which
> >> I accepted.
>
> You may find that your card is supported by the nvidia-glx-legacy
> package in multiverse.
>
> Disclaimer: I recently installed openSUSE[1] on the only computer I
> have with a legacy nvidia graphics card (Geforce 420 Go), so I can't
> confirm this.
>
> YMMV, but good luck :)
> Daniel
>
> [1] I installed openSUSE to broaden my horizons, something it's so far
> doing a good job of!

Well, whaddathink?   :-)   I'm asking 'cause I'd like to know. Give me
some feedback, please.

I'm a long-term SUSE user, but I am leaning to Mint/KDE - there are
advantages both ways including the SUSE build machines for OpenOffice.
And then IBM are making it easier for employees/contractors to work with
Linux, but they distribute their packages for Ubuntu, mainly (according
to a friend in the UK) - who has gone from SUSE to Kubuntu.

--
Richard Meyer
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.

Linux Counter user #306629