[plug] Sundry niggles / Intrepid update

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sun Nov 2 22:31:33 WST 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 21:39 +0900, Mike Holland wrote:
> David Dartnall wrote:
>
> > Geforce MX400 video card using the nvidia driver and gave the option of
> > aborting the process or accepting the loss of the compix goodies, which
> > I accepted.
> >
> > So now with the system now running very slow I need to buy a new video
> > card, - don't need it for gaming - just general use with gimp and
> > sometimes photoshop - advice needed here please.
>
> The MX400 is AGP, isn't it? The new ones are all PCIe.
> My advice is to stick with Hardy until you buy a whole new computer.

Dave - I have a spare AGP Nvidia card here that I'm sure is mre modern
than what you have ...

let me know  - the price is talking to me for 20 mons or so ... and oh,
yes, you jave to collect from Currambine.

> > But I do need some more advice please: Current setup is Netgear ADSL
> > modem router DG834 connected to my wife's and my computers and with 2
> > free lan ports. I need to add wireless for a laptop. What do you
> > recommend I buy? (Not the laptop, the other gear)
>
> Get a DG834G, and umm ... keep the old one as a backup?
> Not much point buying a WAP without ADSL is there?

I just plugged mine in downstream from the Alcatel ADSL "modem" I
have ... On the same "line" I used when i had a hub in my "laborotary"
where I had a hub before. So, yes, my WAP doesn't have ADSL - and I'm
happy that way.

--
Richard Meyer
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.

Linux Counter user #306629