[plug] Suggestion for PLUG December Seminar (Eeepc).

mccabedj mccabedj at ucc.asn.au
Fri Nov 14 14:57:50 WST 2008

Blake Munro wrote:
 > gah, 1 day's notice is not enough! :D

I agree. In particular the PLUG "Next Event" should aways be scheduled
in the future. Otherwise we could rupture the space-time continuum
killing us all, or even worse, make it hard for people who don't check
the website every day to attend.

If necessary the date of the next seminar should be on the website even
if the seminar itself is just TBA.

Are their any proposals for a Dec seminar? Here is a draft suggestion
for the next seminar (Dec 9th right?).

"The Eeepc, tips and tricks"
Presenter: John McCabe-Dansted.

The Eeepc 701 is under a kilogram, and often under $300 new. This makes
it easy to have a full Linux pc with you where-ever you go. Despite the
low weight and low cost the Xandros based OS is snappy for casual use.

Having used the Eeepc my primary desktop for two weeks, the limited
nature of the Eeepc's screen, memory, flash storage, CPU and supported
software was clear. I discuss ways of mitigating these limitations, such as;
- Increasing the virtual resolution of the screen.
- Compressing the memory with the compcache module.
- "Overclocking" the CPU (without actually overclocking the CPU)
- Adding Debian Etch repositories safely with APT-pinning.

Adding additional hardware to the Eeepc will also be discussed.
Borrowing a proper keyboard, monitor can make the Eeepc much nicer to
work with when traveling.
  http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1535889&l=3d3d1&id=685309812

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student, University of Western Australia