[plug] message/output of wipe command?

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Nov 27 09:29:10 WST 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 10:07 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
..

> Also, the author of that utility is rather paranoid, to the point I
> wonder that he or she doesn't just go back to using stone tablets or,
> perhaps, living in a mud hut in the jungle with nothing more
> sophisticated than a vine around:
>
>      I hereby speculate that harddisks can use the spare remapping area
>      to secretly make copies of your data.  Rising totalitarianism makes
>      this almost a certitude.
>
>      [...]
>
>      Don’t trust your harddisk.  Encrypt all your data.
>
>      Of course this shifts the trust to the computing system, the CPU,
>      and so on.  I guess there are also "traps" in the CPU and, in fact,
>      in every sufficiently advanced mass-marketed chip.  Wealthy nations
>      can find those.  Therefore these are mainly used for criminal
>      investigation and "control of public dissent".
>
> That surely is some serious paranoia: my computer, every single
> component, is under the control of the Jovian lizards ^W^W government,
> who actively use this control to manage "public dissent".
>
> Oh, well.  People, can't live with 'em, can't feed em to the Jovian
> lizards ^W^W government mind control security drones.
>
> Regards,

Serious, yes.  Justified - yes.  Look at the stories of people who take
storage into the US. (smartphones, laptops).  They take them away, out
of sight for "copying".  Encrypted data - give us the keys, no - go
back, your not coming in.  Do they put some "gifts" of their own in
there at times - undoubtedly.

There are also stories that chipset manufacturers have the capability to
build spying into the actual chipsets - enough truth that the US Mil is
seriously evaluating if its actually being done

So if you have anything commercially sensitive, or legally sus, wipe is
a godd idea.

BillK