[plug] ssh access

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Wed Oct 15 08:24:50 WST 2008

Hi, not the answer you are looking/asking for, but....

Security through obscurity: Not the best way to solve your issue.

Yes, you may block the script-kiddies attempts, but most potential
attackers will port scan you first, and from that pick up a list of
ports to attack.
Moving your ssh port would thus be fruitless.

Your best bet to solve this issue is to run an IDS (Intrusion Detection
System) on your machine.

I personally like fail2ban
(http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page).
Easy to configure, and most common services (web, ssh etc) are
configured out the box.
You can set the number of attempts to cause a ban (I use 1 attempt), and
also whitelist your own ip(s) not to get banned.

If you run Debian (or a debian based system), it is in apt, so easy to
install.

Regards
Lucas