[plug] Dell Inspiron Mini 9

sothisistheinternet sothisistheinternet at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 00:16:10 WST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Gregory Orange
<gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com> wrote:
> Kai wrote:
>>
>> Just saw this, haven't read any reviews about it...
>>
>> Dell Inspiron Mini 9
>> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-inspiron-9

There's going to be a bit of a wait for the Ubuntu version to come out.

> I'll just regurgitate what I've read:
> Generally good keyboard, no native function keys (you have to press Fn- to
> get them).
> 4 cell battery

That can be an issue. A 6-cell is good from my experience, I'd hate to
have purchased earlier and gotten a three cell (I'm using the Asus
EeePC 1000H with plans to put Ubuntu-Eee on it soon).

However, the Dell is almost half a kilo less than the 1000H IIRC,
which for some (ie - me on my crutches) is a VERY good thing.

> Quite reflective screen; standard netbook 1024 x 600
> Atom CPU; decent RAM (I saw 1GB); possible HSDPA option

Asus 1000H and 901 Linux and XP all come with 1GB RAM, and can take up
to 2GB by replacing the supplied module. Some really good deals
available on these now if you know where to look.

> Looks pretty reasonable. I still prefer the HP, and would buy one if it
> weren't for the 1.2GHz Via CPU and the $800 price tag.

You're in luck! 1.6GHz models of the HP 2133 are out and start at $545
after $100 cash back from HP. This is from the OnlineComputer advert
from today at the overclockers.com.au forums (free to register,
interesting forums, PLE and Netplus advertise there as well, plus
there're these member discounts...).

> Good resolution and
> very good keyboard! I liked the the Acer (2 x SD slots)

1.5GB RAM max, and it's a REAL pain to upgrade the RAM in the first
place- plus it voids your warranty. However, some of the places
selling it are doing really great deals and then there's still cash
back offers from Acer, making these the best priced netbooks
available.

> and the MSI too,

U100 available at Netplus and on display there too last time I looked
- and only $579!

> when I had a poke around a few shops in Osborne Park on Saturday.
>
> I'll be buying an EeePC 1000 or 1000H as soon as I can organise it, looks

You'd have to import the 1000 and the warranty is not an international
one. It's got an SSD instead of an HDD, too, but then again it is the
linux version!

 PLE has the 1000H for $549, which is an excellent price, although
some JB salespeople once seeing this will undercut by $20 or so
dollars, same with HN.

> like around $600.

If you pay $600 you're paying too much unless you get a RAM upgrade
and/or an extended warranty in the bargain.

Wait ten days and the Lenovo S10 comes out, but it's likely to be
around the $800 dollar mark, so then again, maybe just buy now. I'm
sorely tempted to buy my wife one of the many ones out there so she's
not lugging around her 3.4kg older laptop anymore.

Regards,

Ari

aka - netbook price reference man (I have a special outfit for this,
but you really don't want to see it)