[plug] Random crashes

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Mon Oct 20 07:43:05 WST 2008

Hi,

Just had similar issues, also with an Ubuntu based install. Crashes also
seemed very random, but only when I was busy with something.
When my machine crashed, the lights on the keyboard flashed (kernel
panic?), and  only a  hard reset could recover the machine.

Some googling revealed  the issue was related to issues within ubuntu's
2.6.24-16-generic kernel, mostly in direct relation to GPU drivers.  I
am running a Nvida 9600GT based card.
The solution was to upgrade the kernel past 2.6.24-18-generic, I
installed 2.6.24-19-generic

Possible you also running the 2.6.24-16-generic kernel? Worth an upgrade
before you start replacing hardware.

-Lucas