[plug] Fax server options

Chris Wake sagenet at sagenet.net.au
Mon Oct 20 21:38:40 WST 2008

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 05:35:41 pm Tim Bowden wrote:
> I'm looking at setting up a fax server for sending and receiving faxes.
> A quick look shows two main options- mgetty-fax/ mgetty-viewfax or
> HylaFAX.
>
> The functionality I'm after is to have a "fax Printer" shared across the
> network by cups (and possibly samba for any windows hosts that may
> occasionally be used) and have incoming faxes stored as pdf's for
> collection.  An email to predetermined user(s) when a new incoming fax
> is processed would be nice (with the pdf attached?) but isn't strictly
> required.
>
> Is anyone able to make any recommendations as to how things should be
> done?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Bowden

G'day

I've had good success using HylaFAX for one of my business clients - stable
and dependable fax2email solution that was relatively easy to setup.

More fun was Asterisk (and AsterFax), especially with a VOIP provider that
does free local and national calls ;-) If I recall the downside here was
being limited to the ALAW/ULAW codecs to do faxes which bites if you want to
make decent quality phone calls on the same trunk.

Cheers

--
Chris Wake
sagenet at sagenet.net.au