[plug] HP/Compaq NX5000 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX NIC problem

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Wed Oct 22 06:49:08 WST 2008

Bret Busby wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Lucas van Staden wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:13:27 +0800
>> From: Lucas van Staden <lvs at dedmeet.com>
>> To: plug at plug.org.au
>> Subject: Re: [plug] HP/Compaq NX5000 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX NIC
>> problem
>>
>> Hi Bret
>>
>> Had a look at the file you downloaded.
>>
>> It is a normal zip file, which in turn contains other archives (.rpm
>> and a .tar.gz)
>> It also contains a README.txt which explains what you need to do.
>>
>> So, to get going use unzip to extract the downloaded file, and then
>> use your favourite text reader to read the README file
>>
>> If you do this via a console, then:
>>
>> $> unzip linux-1.00g.zip
>> $> cd linux
>> $> less README.txt
>>

>> Regards
>> Lucas
>>

>> Bret Busby wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> After some searching on the Internet, I found a web page at
>>> http://downgra.de/x20/ , which showed that that author apparently
>>> got the NIC operational, by using the manufacturer's driver.
>>>
>>> So, after a bit if searching, I found a web page apparently for the
>>> NIC driver, at http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/4401.php
>>> , from which I downloaded the Linux(i386) driver, which I think is a
>>> g.zip file.
>>>
>>> What do I need to do, to install it and get it going, so that I can
>>> continuously operate the network card?
>>>
>>> Thanks in anticipation.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bret Busby
>>> Armadale
>>> West Australia
>>>

> And, in reading the README.TXT file the driver is apparently included
> with kernel 2.6.x, and so it is apparently already included in the
> installed Linux and aparently, simply does not work very well.
>
> Ah, well...
>
> Thanks for the help, anyway.

HI,

True, but if you read the other guys comments from the site you found
(http://downgra.de/x20/), he does mention the kernel drivers, and the
fact that they don't work well,
and he does mention the drivers from the broadcom site (ie the file you
have) does work better.....

If you have a need for that device to work, giving the downloaded driver
a go is worth a try.

Regards
Lucas