[plug] HP/Compaq NX5000 Broadcom BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX NIC problem

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Fri Oct 24 09:31:14 WST 2008

Gregory Orange wrote:
> Bret Busby wrote:
>> After some searching on the Internet, I found a web page at
>> http://downgra.de/x20/ , which showed that that author apparently got
>> the NIC operational, by using the manufacturer's driver.
>>
>> So, after a bit if searching, I found a web page apparently for the
>> NIC driver, at http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/4401.php
>> , from which I downloaded the Linux(i386) driver, which I think is a
>> g.zip file.
>>
>> What do I need to do, to install it and get it going, so that I can
>> continuously operate the network card?
>
> Sorry for the late input...
>
> I used an nx5000 (Part ID: PM151PA#ABG) for a couple of years with
> Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06, and never had any trouble with the NIC. I've
> just pulled the last working one out of the cupboard and booted it up
> with an Ubuntu Hard Heron 8.04 CD. It's a Broadcom BCM4401-B0, works
> straight from boot.
>
> In other news, I remember having to use ndiswrapper to get the bcm43xx
> wlan card working well - the bcm43xx native driver gave very poor
> range and performance.

I just replaced my RT based card (see other posts where the RT (d-link)
based card caused system crashes.) with an Asus branded card based on
the b43 chipset, and it also just NEARLY worked out the box. I used the
'restricted drivers' setup, and that installed b43fwcutter and the
firmware without any hassle. The ONLY issue I had was with kernel
2.6.24-16-generic, in which the card did not work (dmesg gave errors
about 'timeout authenticating to ap'). This is a known bug on that
kernel with the b43 drivers, and is solved from 2.6.24-21-generic.  The
b43 drivers replace the bcm43xx drivers, which has been deprecated.
(http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43)

I am very happy with the card, and no more system crashes.

-Lucas