[plug] Sundry niggles with Hardy

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Fri Oct 31 16:54:41 WST 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 16:24 +0900, David Dartnall wrote:
> Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
> > I'd suggest an upgrade as the easiest option for you. Following the
> > upgrade, there is a new utility "cruft remover" under administration
> > that will clean up the system after you're done.
> >
> > Tomasz
> >
> Thank you Richard and Tomasz, the 'cruft remover' parameter has probably
> swung the decision towards upgrade, but it would have been good to get a
> new clean system to play with - eh Richard?
>
> I'll advise progress - update manager still tells me that the system is
> up to date, so I can't do anything yet

I've sometimes done an upgrade then a clean install to compare the two.
Glutton for punishment I guess.  The cruft remover is a welcome addition
imho as there are always some residual artifacts that no longer have a
replacement and hence stay behind when they're probably not really
needed any more.

I'm going to be facing this decision soon as I'm still on 7.10, which is
the first time I've not upgraded before the next version is stable, and
I'm now two versions old.  I've got so many nooks and crannies in the
system now I'm not sure which will be the easiest path.  Given I'm
likely to be tempted to go for a more radical desktop next time round
(enlightenment?  Getting tempting again) I may well go for the clean
sweep as an excuse to go and archive all the bits and pieces that have
accumulated over time.

Regards,
Tim

> Dave D
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.