[plug] Working with Mbox files

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Thu Sep 4 11:16:28 WST 2008

    0n Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 11:27:14PM +0800, Nathan Alberti wrote:

    >I need to create a report for a bunch of mbox files that shows the number of
    >mail received for the past 7 days and the unread count (for those messages)

mboxstats and mboxgrep may help you:

mboxstats
---------
   mboxstats creates several top-10 lists from a file containing message
   in mbox-format.  List of top10 lists:

   o Top writes
   o Top receivers
   o Top subjects
   o Top cc'ers
   o Top top-level-domain
   o Top timezones
   o Top organisations
   o Top useragents (mailprograms)
   o Top month/day-of-month/day-of-week/hour
   o Average number of lines per message
   o All kinds of per-user statistics

   And much more!

   WWW: http://vanheusden.com/mboxstats/

mboxgrep
--------

   mboxgrep is a small utility that scans a mailbox for messages matching a
   regular expression. Found messages can be either displayed on standard output,
   counted, deleted, piped to a shell command or written to another mailbox.

   Its features include:

   * ability to limit the search to message body or headers (although the whole
   message is scanned by default)
   * message counting
   * ability to invert the sense of matching
   * ability to write found messages to another mailbox
   * support for mbox (either plain or compressed), MH, nnmh, nnml and maildir
   folders
   * support for basic and extended POSIX regular expressions, and, optionally,
   Perl-complatible regular expressions (if linked with the PCRE library)

   WWW: http://mboxgrep.sourceforge.net/

 -aW

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.