[plug] harddrive becomes read-only

Paul Antoine pma-la at milleng.com.au
Sun Sep 7 12:56:38 WST 2008

Gavin,

I've taken to running a memtest86 for a few hours whenever a system is a
little random in its behaviour.  The odd flakey bit in a bank of memory
can wreak such havoc and has proved the most common failure aside from
disk drive death.

Also, how old are the drives?  Of course with the two drives in an LVM
you have effectively doubled your statistical likelihood of a volume
failure as you have to add the MTBF's of the drives, so ageing may be a
real issue despite each drive being quite young.

How old is the whole system?

P.