[plug] imap & pop3 servers

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Tue Sep 9 18:22:08 WST 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 16:26 +0800, Adrian Woodley wrote:
> Peter,
>
> If you can give me some details of what you're trying to achieve, I can
> probably help you out with some setup and config.
>
> Adrian

Adrian,

Thanks for the offer...   I currently run a server with around 20
websites and associated email.  This server's use has grown over the
last 4 years....  I started with just a couple of personal sites and
built on it from there.

My current server runs apache, mysql & exim4.  E-mail is not setup as
virtual domains so e-mail sent to user at domain1 or user at domain2 both go
to the same mailbox.  I have on occasion used procmail to reroute mail
to another malibox (or external account), so for example e-mail sent to
john at domain1 is delivered normally while mail sent to john at domain2 is
rerouted to user account john2, etc, but this quickly gets messy.

I am currently building a new server and will need to move everything
over when it's ready.  So far, I have debian 4.0, apache2, mysql and
exim4 installed.  I also have spam assassin installed (using procmail),
although it probably needs some tweaking.

I have never used Dovecot. I use webmin to assist with config/management
and see it has a Dovecot plugin so I was thinking about giving it a
look.  I don't have much experience with LDAP either.

My needs will probably steadily increase over the next few years so want
to get it right now... so... LDAP????  What else?

Is this enough of a background?

Regards
Peter