[plug] ssh question

Alastair Irvine alastair at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 15 12:55:11 WST 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:59 pm, Jon L. Miller wrote:
> I've changed the port for ssh on all my servers except the
> internal ones. Fram a remote location I tried to access one of my
> internal servers from a server that I was able to ssh to and from
> there I wanted to ssh to the internal server.  However, I was not
> able to.  I ran a nmap scan against the ip address with the
> following command nmap -v --version-trace [ip_address_of_server].
>  This showed me that the ssh port was open, yet I could not
> access this server.  Does anyone have any idea what may be the
> problem?

[Note: the issue may have already been resolved, but this reply is
also for those reading the archives who may have a similar issue.]

Your description indicates that you are trying to connect to an
internal server from an "edge" server.  Does the latter machine
also have an address on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet?  Is your routing
set up correctly?  Can you ping 192.168.10.184 from the edge
machine?  Have you tried logging into the console of the edge
machine and SSHing to 192.168.10.184?

What is the actual observed problem?  (Timeouts, error messages,
refused password, etc.)

Try telnetting to the port; if the connection is dropped
immediately, the fault could be due to TCP Wrappers.  Check
your /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} files.

--
Alastair Irvine, Warpspace IT <http://www.warpspace.net/>
Business enquiries: 1300 881744 or guru at warpspace.net
[Linux Counter user #404151; OpenDocument Format Alliance member]