[plug] Linux/Rst-B - very much alive and kicking

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 17:12:53 WST 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 7:46 AM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> If not, ClamAV -- which is free -- will detect this.  Spend the day
> running it over your entire system and checking to see if anything nasty
> turns up.  No need to buy Sophos to detect this nasty.

While I agree with the rest of your email, ClamAV does have a
colourful history of remote exploits[1]. Based on my experience on a
couple of mailservers it's also pretty terrible at picking up virii
(not that Sophos is much better, and also chews up insane amounts of
CPU).

If you want to do it properly, you really have to run several
different brands to make sure you pick up everything. OTOH, ClamAV has
the distinct advantage of being free :)

-Patrick

[1] http://secunia.com/advisories/product/2538/?task=advisories

--