[plug] Linux GPS Mapping

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:06:33 WST 2008

I'm hoping someone has experience in what I am trying to do, and can
lead me in the right direction.
First, I'm looking for a handheld GPS, that can interface with the
computer (and Linux) and can create "tracks", i.e. logging where ever I go.

I'm also looking for software that will let me take these way points,
and overlay them on an image, to start creating an updated map.
Basically, we have a geographical map of the area I am working in, that
is about 30 years old or something like that, so a lot of road/tracks in
the bush aren't on it, or have changed. I basically want to be able to
go to some known points on the map, namely some houses, a fire tower,
road intersections for major roads, get the gps data for them, so that I
can use the scanned in version of the map, correctly fitted, and overlay
the new roads and tracks. Eventually, I'll want it to be printable, as
well as scaleable (so I can do a large scale map, as well as a smaller
scale, as we need both).

If anyone can suggest both software, and handheld GPS recievers, it
would be much appreciated. Of course, it should run under Linux.

Thanks

Tim