[plug] Altering Gains on Multiple Audio Files

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Apr 1 16:42:28 WST 2009

"jasonposavec at iinet.net.au" <jasonposavec at iinet.net.au> writes:

> I tried the command "vorbisgain -g 5 *.ogg" in my music folder
> (vorbisgain apparently being an ogg offshoot of mp3gain) which
> according to the man page *should* raise the volume off all files in
> that folder by 5dB. I didn't seem to notice any difference in volume
> afterwards. Am I reading that flag correctly?

Probably.  These tools write a "gain flag" into the header of the file,
rather than decode and reencode the audio content.

That means they are lossless, but that they require support from the
playback device.  Presumably your player doesn't support that flag for
Vorbis files, even if it does elsewhere.

That makes reencoding your only option, which is a lossy operation.

Um, question though: did they come from original media?  If so, you
might want to consider repeating the capture process and encoding
correctly the first time, rather than trying to post-process and fix it.

Regards,
        Daniel