[plug] Altering Gains on Multiple Audio Files

Jason Posavec jasonposavec at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 3 10:17:37 WST 2009

Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Kev <kdownes at bbnet.com.au> writes:
>

>> You can purchase, from Jaycar, a neat little pre-amp (model# PA-928 -
>> RIAA I think is the standard) for, from memory, about $16.00.  Inputs
>> are switchable between phono and aux.  There is also a similar item
>> available in kit form from Altronics.  Such a device might just do
>> what you want.
>>

> Really?  What makes you think that, and not that this will make the
> situation worse by applying an inappropriate amplifier to a mismatched
> set of electrical signals?
>
> Seriously.  Are you saying that the headphone output is comparably to a
> record player in terms of preamp (and RIAA response curve) needs?
>
> Alternately, are you suggesting that the electrical mismatch between the
> line level socket on the amp is going to be any less an issue with the
> mismatch of the line level input on this preamp?
>
> Regards,
>         Daniel
Just the part where it's switchable between aux and phono gives me the
impression that the device is doing some kind of magic inside, depending
on what the specific input is. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't care what
was being plugged into it? And wouldn't need a switch? I'll have to look
further into it.

Jason