[plug] Samba, delayed write failed, and can't become connected user

Daniel Foote freefoote at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 18:34:02 WST 2009

Hello.

> Anyone? I made the FC10 system the master browser and thought that had
> corrected the problem, think the problem was being caused by
> elections. It was good for about 36 hours then during the night two
> more episodes of 'delayed write failed' during PTP file transfers,
> each require a sudo service smb restart to get samba to let other
> computers on the network access it again.

The last time I saw something like this, it was caused by a gigabit
network card (windows client machine) on a 100mbit switch, connected
to a Linux server (samba) with a 100mbit network card. Something
related to the gigabit card, the cabling, or the switch caused it to
'micro-dropout' (I estimate 10ms or less) - just long enough to
disconnect the Windows client from the samba server. In this case, it
caused this Windows machine to emit the 'delayed write failed'
message, and also released locks that the machine had on certain
shared files, causing other issues.

Not sure if that will help in your case... but something to consider.

Daniel Foote.