[plug] [OT] IT Certifications

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 09:41:03 WST 2009

Ok, so this is slightly On Topic, but probably more Off Topic. Being a
newly married geek, 5 years out of school, and having worked many
different jobs in my working life, I'm ready to get some
qualifications to assist in getting a job. Can anyone suggest which
certificates would be most useful in the IT world (Cisco, Linux,
Microsoft C..P etc etc), and the best way to get them in Perth. Tafe?
Night School? Online courses. For those that don't know me, I'm a very
bright guy, and have lots of programming and network knowledge and
experience, just no formal qualifications in it. I'm more geared to
Networking and Web applications but have good knowledge of the
backends too. My current project I am working on is a Hotspot complete
package, utilisting a custom Ubuntu install, captive portal and custom
written administration software. (totally automated system, put CD in,
it installs automatically, login to admin console, start adding users,
start selling internet access!). I have managed small Domains (Samba)
using a Linux server, and mostly windows clients, with the occasional
Linux client. If you want to know more about my skills and projects,
contact me offlist for my resume. Otherwise, hopefully someone on list
can guide me to starting to get my qualifications so companys are more
likely to hire me.

Oh, and I would rather not go to uni, due to the fact it's really not
my style and I don't enjoy it, but would consider it if required.

Thanks

Tim
p.s. I AM back in Perth now, so hopefully I'll see most of you at the
next seminar!

--
Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia